studio.FAB [beta_02]: moving fwd.
after a few months of calibrating and tweaking [beta_01], it was clear things weren’t as stable or precise as I’d like. I think much of the instability was because of some necessary kludges (ugh, zip ties…) and that I used printed parts for a lot of the assembly. I knew [beta_01] was always just a really good prototype with a few unfortunate rough spots. starting this past week, I’m doing what I hope is a final revision/build. it’s in progress now, and only should take just a third of the time to get up and running.
the most important and noticable revision is that I’m using OpenRail for my linear motion on the x + y axis. this will eliminate flexing smooth rods that caused the y-axis to bind + allow me to return to a direct geared extruder. I used the Bowden setup last time because it was lighter on the x-axis, but that caused oozing and extrusion problems. now I can drop a geared extruder or handheld rotary tool right on the x-axis without worrying about the weight.
- using UHMW-PE bearings for smoother linear motion in the z-axis
- off-the-shelf hardware-store metal braces: more accurate 90deg. angles and sold, stable corners
- adjustable feet
- hand machined steel mounts for the stepper motors + idlers
Tags: 3D printing, art making, cnc, studio notes, studioFAB
This entry was posted on Saturday, February 9th, 2013 at 08:31PM
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.